These cakes are great for the cake lovers 😍 like me who love to indulge in tasty sweet treats but without the guilt of all the empty calories from fat and sugar! They make great snacks during the day or as pre/post workout snack.
Ingredients for 10 mini cakes
- 2 ripe bananas 🍌
- 3 scoops whey protein, flavour of your choice (cinnamon danish is great!)
- 1 scoop instant oats (or grind enough quick oats to get one scoop)
- 3 whole large eggs 🍳
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 tsp coconut oil 🌴
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Ground vanilla beans
- Mixed spice (or ground cinnamon and nutmeg)
- Coconut sugar (only add if you like your cakes extra sweet)
1) Preheat oven at 180°C electric/160°C fan. Tip: place a rack in the middle of the oven at this stage to prevent burning yourself later when it’s hot.
2) Use blender or hand mixer to mix bananas, whey, oats, bicarbonate, oil, vanilla and spice together.
3) Once you get a smooth batter, add the eggs and mix. Tip: if you add the eggs after all the powders are properly mixed with the bananas, your batter will be smooth and lump free!
4) Pour batter into moulds at 2/3 of height.
5) Peel mango and remove fruit from the core, then chop fruit into small pieces.
6) Sprinkle ground vanilla and spice over chopped mango and mix with fork.
7) Add 1-2 spoonfuls of mango in each mould, in the centre of batter. Tip: As batter will rise, make sure mango sits just below surface of batter.
8) Sprinkle coconut sugar and spice on top of each mould.
9) Place moulds onto middle rack of the oven and let bake for 20-25 min. Tip: insert the end of a pointy knife to check progress – if it comes out clean all the way, cake is done!
10) Remove from oven and eat! Don’t burn your tongue 😜
If you feel adventurous, you can use nut butter, jam , nutella, blueberries, chocolate chunks 🍫 or any sort of filling that satisfies your taste buds and/or fits your macros! To check on calories for these cakes, create a recipe using myfitnesspal app, enter all ingredients and their weight and boom! It’s calculated. No fuss, no hassle, just pure joy in your tummy. Enjoy!
PS: yes, it is a mug in the shape of a 🦄!